Mitch Cox Construction, Inc. is seeking to fill the role of Job Superintendent. Please review the job description below. If you meet the listed requirements, please submit your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com.
Mitch Cox Construction’s Superintendent provides the knowledge, skills and experience required to manage the day-to-day field operations of task order and/or larger lump institutional and/or commercial construction projects that MCC undertakes. MCC’s Superintendents are responsible for the production aspects of the work and are accountable for: producing quality work that is constructed consistent with the standard’s set forth in the project’s contract documents; for performing the work in a timely and cost effective manner and for maintaining a work environment that is safe and continuously kept clean and orderly. Moreover, MCC’s Superintendents are the forward face of MCC and are responsible for establishing a professional work environment that includes: fostering a positive atmosphere, promoting proactive and effective communication, facilitating problem solving and for minimizing and resolving conflict in a constructive manner. The primary focus of MCC’s Superintendent is to provide the managerial and leadership skills necessary to accomplish the work by means of subcontractors and to manage the day-today issues of a small self-performed workforce.
- Managing the day-to-day field activities to ensure that the project milestone dates and overall schedule completion date is met
- Creating short-interval look-ahead project schedules that make sure that upcoming events are communicated, tracked and are being proactively attended to
- Creating and maintaining a culture that values safety, health and cleanliness
- Managing and coordinating the work to ensure that it is constructed in an orderly and deliberate manner that is consistent with the standard-of-care set forth in the contract documents that is viewed by industry as an effort that is consistent with best-practices standards
- Establishing and maintaining all dimensional controls for the project to include the use of third party survey and layout personnel when appropriate
- Verifying that all work is installed in a workmanlike manner (i.e.: plumb, level, straight, etc…)
- Manage and look-ahead no less than two weeks to proactively identifying issues that could lead to problems and facilitate solutions
- Obtaining all inspections and ensuring that the quality aspects of the physical work are fully documented
- Ensuring all aspects of the project are compliant with all contract terms and legal requirements that govern the project and the community in which the project(s) takes place
- Administering client specific programs, such as CQC, Safety, Environmental Stewardship, etc.
- Conducting and/or attending pre-construction, progress and other project and staff meetings
- Conducting and/or participating in regularly held meetings involving MCC internal staff and external stake holders such as owners, subcontractors, etc.
- Meeting with client representatives on a regular basis to discuss the status of projects, to proactively identify and resolve problems and to assure that the client is kept knowledgeable about the status of the work
- Managing self-performed activities to ensure that work is being performed within the established project budget
- Managing changes in project scope to ensure that the most contemporary contract documents are being used at all times to prevent avoidable rework
- Administering contracts, subcontracts, purchase orders and other agreement to ensure that the scope, terms and conditions are consistently and proactively being met
- Managing the punch list and project closeout process to assure timely completion
- Maintaining daily paperwork such as timecards, field reports, schedule updates and E-mail correspondence
- Providing timely and cordial interaction with supporting work groups, such as accounting, HR, etc.
- Directing and managing the work loads of supporting staff to include training, mentoring and follow up; and participating in and encouraging staff to seek out life-long learning opportunities and professional development.
- Has a passion for construction, a desire and a natural instinct to build
- Understands means and methods of construction associated with the renovation of commercial and institutional buildings and site work related thereto
- Can create a 3d visualization of the end product and knows how to get there
- Understands the sequencing of work and the strategy of creating effective project schedules
- Understands project control and change order management
Critical Thinking Skills
- Has strong math and analytical skills
- Has strong problem solving skills that involve a bias to work within established systems and the agility to work outside of the system when necessary to get timely results
- Has a natural curiosity of technical, physical and spatial matters
- Is goal oriented and can react quickly to challenging circumstances to achieve the desired end results
- Is proactive, plans well and addresses problems promptly
- Is committed to doing quality work the first time with little or no need for re-work
- Works to meet or beat schedules and is driven to bring closure to avoid long punch lists
- Works to meet deadlines and is driven to closure
- Has a bias toward action and an impatience towards those that lack focus and/or the ability to get results
- Is proactive, looks for problems that could impede progress and relentlessly takes responsibility for solving them
- Is deadline driven, punctual and respects other peoples’ time
Leadership and Interpersonal Skills
- Has the ability to build effective teams, to inspire others to their best, and to coach and mentor
- Is aggressive, however fair and reasonable in all business dealings involving clients, subcontractors and co-workers (understands win-win contracting)
- Is an effective communicator, active-listener, recognizes diverse perspectives and is capable of facilitating synergy and collaboration
- Has the ability to confront difficult situations and manages them to a successful conclusion
- Is polite, conversational, self-confident, comfortable to be with and non-assuming
- Is organized and produces a paper trail that can be easily understood by a third party and
- Embraces life-long learning, strives to stay current with new industry trends and practices and willingly participates in industry events and networking functions
On large construction projects, the superintendent’s job is to run the day-to-day operations on the construction site and control the short-term schedule. The role of the superintendent also includes important quality control and subcontractor coordination responsibilities. It is common for most finance-related tasks (especially labor and material cost control) and long-term scheduling to be handled by a project manager. The project manager and superintendent need to cooperate and share control effectively. Superintendents are almost universally stationed on the construction site, while project managers are usually based in the contractor’s office with part-time on site responsibilities.
* Maintains an organized job site, including the construction office.
Organization: Utilizes strong organizational skills.
Communication: Displays strong written and oral communication skills and employs effective listening skills.
Problem Solving: Analyzes problems and makes sound decisions in a timely manner based on objectives, risks, implications and costs.
Interpersonal Skills: Tactful and mature demeanor with well developed interpersonal skills including the ability to work well with diverse personalities.
Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities:
To provide leadership and to establish and maintain effective and harmonious working relationships of the on-site staff and to promote a positive project morale.
To have a thorough and complete knowledge and understanding of the General Contract, each
Subcontract, the contract drawings, specifications and addenda, and to assist the Project Manager in the development of the on-site procedures.
To examine the contract drawings, specifications and addenda for design deficiencies, impractical details and possible code violations, and to bring these to the attention of the Project Manager who will review them with the Architect.
To assist the Project Manager and the Scheduling Manager in the development and refinement of the Project Schedule, and to work with the Project Manager to keep the schedules properly updated, and to see that the job meets the various required dates
To cooperate with, and direct when necessary, the activities of the inspection agencies, and to effect remedial actions indicated by the reports of these agencies.
To maintain good relations and communications with all involved in the project including the public.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
Required Education and Experience
- Minimum high school diploma
- At least three years of strong project supervision
- Must be able to move, lift, carry, push, pull, and place objects weighing less than or equal to 50 pounds without
- Reach overhead and below the knees, including bending, twisting, pulling and stooping. Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of
- Stand, sit, or walk for an extended period of
- Climb stairs, climb
Founded in 1979, Mitch Cox Companies (of which Mitch Cox Construction, Inc. is an affiliate) is a full-service real estate solutions company offering development, architectural, construction, brokerage and commercial and property management services. The company also manages hotel properties across the Southeast and Midwest United States and residential community associations in the Tri-Cities region of Tennessee.
Mission Statement and Operating Values
To create opportunities for others to succeed by honoring God in the work He has given us as a real estate solutions company.
Transparency — We will hold ourselves to a high standard of openness to maintain a culture of trust.
Outperformance — We will strive to exceed the expectations of our stakeholders with enthusiasm and determination.
Fairness — We will strive to provide our clients, suppliers, partners, and team members fair solutions founded in integrity.
Confidentiality — We will value the information we receive and the information we dispense with due care and respect.
May 24, 2017